Friday, September 3, 2010

Student Goals

Overall, I believe that our student goals will be a useful tool for us as teachers. I believe it is essential for a teacher to teach with an end goal in mind. Like Professor Kruse has said in class before, we need to teach with a purpose, even if we do not know exactly how we will get there. I believe setting goals before we start off will be really helpful to target our teaching.

I really like all of our goals as something to aim for. However, I question whether or not it will be possible to accomplish all of the goals. Teaching is a collective profession. I may teach my students one way of doing things but their next teacher might not. If the teaching is not consistent from grade to grade, some of our goals will certainly be lost. Also, most of our goals are very broad and difficult to define. We our "Student Actions" it makes it a little easier to know how to reach the goal itself. However, the goals still seem to be something that will require a lot of work and precision.

I appreciate that our goals cover a variety of topics. I think that each of the goals are very important in creating a life long learner. If we all leave Drake with the mindset of teaching to these goals or developing goals with whichever school we find jobs, I believe it will be more likely for us establish these goals in the lives of our students.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that there should be an end goal in mind. The students should always know what the purpose is and if they do not, what is the point of teaching the material? At first I do not think we will reach all the goals. If we start small we can always build on more goals. Hopefully we can help students reach all their goals and as they leave school they will be able to understand the importance of setting and achieving their own personal goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how Kendall talked about teaching with a purpose. Everything we teach should have a purpose and I think it's really easy for educators to forget that essential component. I also think it's important to create goals with a purpose. Our personal goals and student goals must be realistic and purposeful. This allows you and your students to assess them and understand how they can be achieved.

    ReplyDelete